IRELAND’S MACHINERY PTY LTD BEGAN IN 1950
as W.H. IRELAND & SONS
The first major expansion of W. H IRELAND & SONS took place in 1960 when Ireland’s went “across the road” to a new Caltex Service Station, machinery showroom and used machinery display area.
Built at a cost of ten thousand pounds, it took place ten (10) years after the late Bill Ireland and his wife Jean and two (2) children arrived from Penrith in 1950, they later had two more sons born in Bowral.
Bill Ireland’s principles of family unity have borne fruit with his son Tony and his wife Sue and their son Andrew, all working in the business.
Moving into the used agricultural machinery field (initially with a reversible horse drawn road plough) followed by new equipment H.V. McKay – Massey Harris and the Horwood Bagshaw Range of equipment through the 1950’s and into the 1960’s, Ireland’s were noted for hay baling and hay handling machines, particularly New Holland equipment with whom they had a very long association and in those days there were probably twenty (20) contractors working around the district, all using New Holland equipment. Major tractor and tillage dealerships were held, as well as a big business in used machinery.
However, Bill and Tony could perceive the winds of change within the industry. They moved into new types of products based on small engines such as chain saws manufactured by Husqvarna and Toro lawn and garden equipment, to add to their existing range of lawn mowers, Ireland’s were the first Victa Mower Dealers in the district.
They formed a successful Hire company in the late 1960’s & another branch in Campbelltown.
In 2011 Ireland’s replaced the Husqvarna Range of products with the World’s NUMBER ONE BRAND of chainsaws and allied equipment STIHL which has proved to be an excellent change. In 2015 Ireland’s Machinery were elevated to an “ELITE” Stihl Dealer, currently one of only nine in Australia.
The Hire Plant Division was sold in 1993 to make way for the construction of the 24-Hour Caltex Star Shop Convenience Store, which was remodelled in 2000 to its present state, known as Ireland’s Corner 24.
Now celebrating their 68th year in business, Ireland’s is one of the older companies that have survived the ever changing face of the Southern Highlands NSW.
The latest move in Ireland’s expansion came in 2013 when Ireland’s exited the fuel industry, sold their founding premises and moved to a new purpose built larger and more efficient building in Braemar (just up from Bunnings).
Also at this point Andrew Ireland (a third generation member of the Ireland family) took over as Managing Director from Tony Ireland who has worked in the in the business since 1960.
IRELAND’S MACHINERY PTY LTD owes their existence to the Founder Bill Ireland and the loyal patronage of their local customers. Ireland’s devoted team of managers, sales and office staff ensures their continued success.